Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Advertising & Sponsorship Manager will oversee IDA’s earned revenue streams from paid sponsorship and advertising that exceeds $1 million annually, driving the sales process from pitch to invoice. The Advertising & Sponsorship Manager will manage the maintenance of existing advertiser relationships, the development of new prospects, the creation of packages and accompanying decks, and pitching. Advertising opportunities include the IDA’s Documentary Magazine (both online and print), email blasts, website, and social media. They will collaborate with the marketing and development teams to execute fundraising strategies and events to expand IDA’s earned revenue potential. The Advertising Manager will also work with IDA’s senior management teams to understand programs and initiatives needing support and devise opportunities for earned revenue that will support these programs and initiatives.
Responsibilities of the Position
Include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the assessment, valuation, and packaging of IDA’s potential advertising assets in keeping with brand identity
- Identify categories of likely sponsors and lists of specific prospects within those categories, as well as promotional and event agencies that represent prospective partners and advertisers.
- Develop and implement an ad sales strategy and goals in collaboration with the Marketing Director and other senior management.
- Determine the most effective and efficient ways to reach the prospects and make potential prospects aware of IDA’s advertising opportunities.
- Develop and cultivate a pipeline of prospects, managing the process from developing presentations, proposals, and decks to initial and follow-up meetings to negotiating and closing agreements.
- Proactively identify potential corporate partners. Engage and schedule meetings to discuss advertising opportunities with businesses and communicate results and decisions to the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Work with IDA Public Programs & Events staff, Documentary magazine staff, Marketing & Communications staff, Development, and Membership staff, and other staff as needed to deliver agreements and invoices.
- Deliver and execute insertion orders to clients in a timely manner. Place and track paid and sponsored advertising for print, digital, and website.
- Coordinating with other departments ensures that sponsors are provided with contracts, invoices, and packages of benefits they are promised.
- Maintain continuing rapport and relationships with prospects and advertisers, keeping them aware of new opportunities and obtaining feedback.
- Coordinate advertiser invoicing and tracking of program components. Assess tracking mechanisms, monitor the impact of programs, and optimize as necessary. Create and deliver invoices in a timely manner.
- Where appropriate, work with the Marketing and Development Directors to strategize on corporate sponsorship trends, especially in connection with nonprofit organizations, and identify opportunities to incorporate these trends where appropriate.
- Support IDA-related events, including promotion, logistics with event site staff, etc.
- Work with in-house staff and external design vendors to create printed materials, e-communications, social media, and other assets.
- Assist stewardship efforts with board members, donors, and event participants.
- Serve as the main contact for publicists, agencies, and advertisers interested in advertising.
- Create and deliver advertising reports to the Director of Marketing and to clients as needed.
- Monitor and track advertising sales in relation to budget goals
- Actively support activities by attending meetings and providing information and resources as needed
- Attend all fundraising events as well as appropriate programming events, which may include nights and weekends
- Other duties related to advertising as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- 3 or more years of experience in ad sales or ad agency
- Strong oral and written communications skills and experience in cold calls for ad sales
- Charismatic and personable when working with stakeholders
- Self-starter and comfortable taking the initiative to drive business
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills
- Able to work evenings and weekends for special events and meetings as needed
- In-depth experience with CRM software and other database software (experience working with NEON CRM, AirTable, and Revive AdServer is a plus)
- Fluency in languages other than English is a plus
- Strong understanding and passion for the documentary field
IDA’s office is located in Los Angeles, California. The work environment for this role is hybrid, with the position working in the IDA office at least 50% of the time.
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Paid parental and family leave
- Access to contribute to pre-tax commuter benefits
- Cell phone subsidy
- A 401(k) retirement savings plan with an employer match
- Generous paid time off, including sick days, 15 vacation days in the first year of employment, 14 paid holidays, and a paid week off when our office closes from Christmas Eve to New Year’s Day
How to apply:
Please fill out this form, and include the following:
- A cover letter including your interest in the position and IDA, and the date you’re available to start.
- A resume outlining your educational and professional experience.
Successful candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States of America. IDA does not currently sponsor visas to work in the United States.
If hired, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless a medical or religious accommodation is needed, as determined on a case-by-case basis. To request accommodations for completing this employment application please contact email@example.com.
International Documentary Association is an Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our work, and to building an equitable and just organization that, at every level, reflects the diversity and vibrancy of the community we serve and our society as a whole. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.